Friday, May 1, 2009

Good-bye, Grandma.


This is one of the most precious memories I have of my Grandma. Sadly, she left us this last Wednesday on April 29th, 2009.

This photograph was taken on my sixth birthday when I spent the night with my grandparents in Glendora, California. There was nothing I loved more than sitting with my Grandma, nestling against her as she rocked slowly and talked quietly to me in her wonderful, loving voice.

This picture sums up everything my Grandmother represented to me. I've never felt more loved, content, and at peace then when my Grandma held me and rocked with me. Time seemed to slow, and all other thoughts or troubles disappeared as her love and soothing voice washed over me, and we rocked and rocked, enjoying each other's quiet, happy company.

Her passing leaves a aching, empty place in my heart--and I'm sure with everyone else who knew her well. I loved her so much, and I always, always will!

This particular verse has been on my mind since her death:

And should we die before our journey's through,

Happy day! All is well!


We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;


With the just we shall dwell!


-"Come, Come, Ye Saints" William Clayton, 1846

Grandma's journey on earth has been fulfilled, and she has been called home by her Heavenly Father. I know she can once again be happy, at peace, and feel loved as she once gave me (and always has) in a certain reclining rocking chair years ago.


Also, during this difficult time, we need to remember to:

"...not pity the dead...[but to] [p]ity the living..."

-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, p. 722

Contemplating these words, I'm so grateful for my family/relatives/friends and the strength and comfort each gives me. I can't imagine trying to get through this without any of them.

For any of those people reading this, I love each of you so much! I hope you know I'm here for each of you--no matter what.

1 comment:

Annette said...

This is such a precious picture!! Please frame it!! It really sums up Grandma. Keep writing, Mary Anne, I love reading your blog.